[ Home ] [ Feedback ]
[ Links ] [ Rules list ]
The Background Story - Part I
|Clubs and Balls||
The earliest surviving written Rules of Golf were compiled by the Gentlemen Golfers of Leith, later the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers (HCEG), on 7th March 1744 at Leith, Scotland.
From 1744 to the mid-1800s, a number of leading golf clubs throughout the UK published their own Rules. Although these Rules were basically the same, enough differences existed such that there was no universal code for golfers.
For instance, all codes during this time had virtually identical rules for the teeing ground, the action of an outside agency, and for changing of a ball. But for a lost ball, a ball in water or a hazard, some rules imposed a stroke penalty, some did not; removal of loose impediments was allowed in some places but not in others.
Over 40 separate codes had been issued since 1744, the most important being those of the Gentlemen Golfers of Leith (later HCEG) and the Society of St. Andrews Golfers (later R&A).
In the later part of the 19th century, most clubs tended to align themselves with the R&A or the HCEG. The St. Andrews and HCEG codes were extremely similar, indeed the St. Andrews rules of 1812 are almost identical to, and adapted from, the HCEG version of 1809. In 1839 the HCEG adapted the St. Andrews version of 1829
In the early 1830s the HCEG was suffering from financial problems and nearly folded. At around the same time, 1834, the St. Andrews Society gained the patronage of King William IV and was granted the title of Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews. The R&A's ascendancy and the simultaneous decline of the HCEG's influence naturally led to the R&A being regarded as the pre-eminent Club of the time.
In the following decades, other factors helped promote golf - with the R&A to the fore; the rapid expansion of the railway system throughout Great Britain, including a branch to the town of St Andrews, a general increase in interest in sporting pastimes, and the introduction of the cheap and durable gutta percha golf ball.
The number of golf clubs in Great Britain increased exponentially in the late 1800s-- from 36 golf clubs in 1860 to 58 in 1870 to nearly 500 by 1890, over 1500 in 1900 over 2500 by 1910 -- and the increasing ease with which golfers could travel to other courses from around this time led to the need for a universal set of rules.
The Open Championship, started in 1860, was played under the rules of Prestwick (in effect the same as 1858 R&A) whenever played at Prestwick, and at St. Andrews the same rules were in effect, some differences only in the local rules. However, when played at Musselburgh in 1874, 1877 and 1880, the Championship was played under the HCEG rules.
The HCEG voted to play by the R&A rules in 1883, Royal Blackheath did the same in 1889. The R&A Rules of 1891 came close to a common code for all players, but although widely accepted, some clubs still clung to different codes. Such differences must have become a matter of concern with the increasing popularity of golf worldwide, and a desire to play the Open and Amateur Championships under rules familiar to all.
During the Amateur Championship held at St. George's, Sandwich, in May 1896 a meeting of delegates proposed setting up the R&A as the overall authority on the Rules of Golf. The R&A Rules of Golf Committee was formed in September 1897, and issued the first universally accepted Rules of Golf in Sept 1899.
The USGA came into being in February 1895, a name change from the Amateur Golf Association of the United States. They originally elected to play under the 1891 R&A rules and adopted the new code in February 1900.